Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Long overdue

Ragazzi,
It's been a month since I really sat down and blogged. Here's an overview of what's been going on in my life(more details to come in the future with stories):
Carrie visited me, we had a blast wandering around Rome, seeing the Vatican Museums and the beautiful Sistine Chapel, going to Assisi(also beautiful) and hanging out. At the end, we saw Gino again, then went to the Hilton for the night(thanks dad) and watched a movie with ice cream! Perfect ending. It was great to bond with my little sister, we barely get to see each other now that we're in college so it was great to hang out.
After Carrie left, I went to Termini and left with my two friends Esther and Pooja for Venice, Italy. Venice is amazing! We drank wine out of water bottles from a little place in Venice that pumps wine out of flasks(into water bottles, of course), we tried on Carnavale masks, ate on the banks of the river, fed the pigeons from our hands in St. Mark's Square, and found the X from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Remember? Indy goes to Venice to find the tomb of the knight that contains the other half of the grail map. We found the library(actually a church) in the center of Venice at Campo San Barnaba, or the Church of San Barnaba. It's relatively easy to find in the center of the city. Have some gelato in that square and then walk south to the canal.
A week later was spring break and brett visited me. I was supposed to pick him up at the airport at 7:30 am, so I set my alarm the night before and did my laundry. When I woke up at 11 am, I nearly peed my pants. I raced to Fiumicino airport, illegally riding the train there, but brett wasn't there. Afterwards, I took the train home, racing to find Brett. I didn't buy a ticket that time either, but this time they checked! I got up real casual, walked to the front of the train, and realized I was screwed. I talked to the conductor at the front, who informed me that I'd have to pay a fine of 25 euros in addition to the 11 euro ticket. I talked with him for 10 minutes, and the ticket collector had already walked through the train. He saw me speaking with the conductor, and he must've assumed I had a ticket, because I walked right by him! Crisis avoided and 36 euros richer, I walked off the train. Later that day, I found brett and was thrilled to see him. I set him up in my place and then went to the US Ambassador's place for drinks(more on that later).
Brett and I had a blast in Rome. We went to Naples, Pompeii, saw most of Rome and many churches in the city. Best of all was our talks. We're deep talkers and our conversation inside the Vatican prayer area is one that I'll never forget. We were both marveling at where we are in life, and Brett told me some advice his friend had gotten. Whenever he would despair, Brett's friend's dad would stop him and ask "Joe, look at your feet. Look where you are." I think it's some of the best advice I've ever heard. Look where you are. Think about it.
Anyways, I was sad to see brett go, but glad I stayed in Italy. The rest of Europe was freezing that weekend in March!
So, the last weekend of March, I went to Ravenna for class. It's a little town north of Bologna in the arch of North East Italy. I went for my Early Christian and Byzantine Art class, and we spent the weekend looking at ancient churches and murals. It wasn't too exciting, but I did get to see an amazing mural, very famous that I've seen in history books in the Basilica of San Vitale(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Vitale). Very cool.
My Easter was splendid. I went to mass with the Pope at 10:30 am, it was awesome. I had bought a tie from Enzo, an Italian friend I made in a tie shop on Via Vittorio Emmanuelle. He's 79, 6', and used to play on the Italian National Basketball team. I told him about my grandfather and how he made the Polish olympic soccer team, but never went because he broke his leg. Enzo still plays basketball, we swapped more stories, he sold me a 100% Italian Silk tie, and then invited me back for coffee sometime. To know me is to love me. I wore that tie to Easter mass, but didn't recieve communion at Mass. There were too many people. People were screaming, waving, jumping up and down for communion. But the tight schedule of the mass seemed to take priority, and many priests turned back before they finished. One priest, God Bless his soul, kept administering communion until he was literally pulled away by a security guard. I ended up going to a nearby church for communion.
There were no more Romans left in Rome on Easter weekend, they all left! Millions of tourists took their place. It was insane. Very eerie feeling in the city.
I started eating at 1 pm that day, and didn't stop till 11 pm. My friend Gillian had her family in town, and they were gracious enough to take us all out to dinner. Great to be in a family atmosphere for Easter. They were very kind and I am in their debt.
Gillian's friend Nikki came over Easter, and next thing I knew all of us were partying every night! I've never gone out so much, and I don't think there was a night I went to bed before 4 am. What a blast.
Finally, I went to Pompeii this past weekend and climbed Vesuvius! A live volcano, and I climbed it. I was looking down into the pit of Vesuvius, marveling at this amazing mountain that had just erupted 63 years ago. Really blows the mind. It was raining, but still magnificent. While in Pompeii, we wandered the large city(all single floor, so very spread out, a lot of walking) for a few hours with a good tour guide. Incredible to see the actual petrified bodies of the dead(they were very small), bent backwards in a horrifying scream of agony, arms protecting their face, as they were overcome by hot ash. Apparently, the air was so hot that their heads exploded. Pretty awesome. I thought of the movie Mars Attacks! where they play Hank Williams until the aliens brains pop. I'm in Pompeii and this is what I think of, sheesh.
Anyways, we saw Sorrento after that, beautiful city. Had a great view of the coast and made my way back to Rome on Sunday.
Yesterday, one of my best friends, Tim was here, it was so good to see him. We hadn't gotten together since January, and then suddenly we were in Rome together. It was great! He saw me across St. Peter's Square and we were running towards one another "TIM!" "MIKE!" We hugged. I might have twirled him. We looked like we were a little too close, but we didn't care. Nothing like an old friend. I've seen so much of Rome, Italy and Europe, but there's so much more to do! Hard to believe that it's almost over!

No comments: