Saturday, March 24, 2007

My Extended Italian Family (Take 2 and 3)

Carriekins, my lovable faux-hawked sister, visited me a couple weeks ago. And again we stopped by Gino’s, more than happy to oblige us. When I made the reservation for that night, GIno insisted on feeding me a small plate of food and giving me white wine. When you’re Roman, you’re family.
As many of you know, Carrie doesn’t drink. That left me in quite the predicament when Gino poured 2 glasses of white and then brought a bottle of red. Add the grappa at the end of the meal, and I was feeling it. I finished just about all of it, and held my own, anything for Gino!
When Gino brought us the cheese platter, the center of the plate was a hearty piece of blue cheese. Oh baby. Gino came by and drizzled that puppy with honey, at which I proclaimed “Gino! Questo e mi favorito!” And it is, that combination of thick honey with moldy cheese is unbeatable.
Later on, Gino returned with a plastic bag, reached inside to reveal . . . a jar of honey! I realized I should have specified “gorgonzola e miele sono mi favorito” . I’ve been eating honey on toast every morning since.
A week after Carrie, my best friend from back home came with his parents. There are 2 types of funny in this world: regular funny, and Brett funny. This is roll around on the floor, sides, aching, crying, pee-your-pants funny. I was happy to see Brett.
We visited Gino again this past Wednesday, this time with Brett and his parents. After a bottle of white, and two bottles of rosso, we were feeling pretty good and enjoying the great food. Of course, the best wine was from Gino’s home region of Puglia, a dark, rich Nero wine by the same makers of the Primitivo wine Gino sells. Gino even made a special dish just for Brett who had given up meat for lent. Grappa came afterwards, clearing the sinuses, and we even got a couple of pictures with Gino.
I gave Gino his present from my dad, 2 Chicago Bears T-Shirts, pretty crappy if you ask me! This guy gave us a bottle of fine olive oil, honey, and a Rosso del Montalcino and he gets 2 t-shirts? Come on dad, you gotta do better than that.
As a parting gift, Gino gave us 2 more honey jars, and a bottle of wine. I’m sure I’ll have more Gino stories to come.

No comments: